Sunday, December 12, 2010

Semester in Art History

This semester in Art History I learned more than I ever thought I would know about art in general. One of the big things that was quite interesting was the arcitecture parts of art history. To be honest, I never really considered arcitcture art. I thought many different types of architecture were interesting and cool looking but never in an art sense. This class gave me a whole new view on how I look at architecture. I constinatley find myself looking at architecture now and trying to find the different elements that we have learned in class. Architecture really is an art in itself. A lot of work goes into the making of buildings including the design, color, position of each piece, etc. Churches especially art huge art pieces that you could look over and over at without really thinking about it that way.
Another interesting part of class was when we learned about sculpture and how it evolved through history. The way that a sculptre protrayed their sculpture is an important key to learning about that time period. During some time periods such as the Classic Greek Art Period, scuptures shifted from being very stiff figures to a 3D view of them in action. Other times, the way that people would take care of a scupture was impotant. Take the scupture of the head of the Akkadian ruler for instance. Someone took out the eyes and ears of the sculpture after it was made. This was to take away the ruler's power of hearing and sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment