Thursday, September 9, 2010

Collage


The first thing I wanted to do with my collage was put the order of the subject matter basically in order. So in the collage from right to left it goes history, world, country, town/community, friends/family and then me. The reason I chose that order was because history is what shaped the world, the world in a sense shaped each country including our own, the country has shaped how my state/town/community is, my town/community is what shaped my family and friends besides what their cultures, beliefs and more has taught them, and all of these things shape who I am so that's why I am last in the order. You will also see that the sections for history, world, country, and town only each have one line while the family/friends and me section have two. That is because my family and my friends are VERY important not only to me but to who I am as a person both inside and out. For the section on me, I had a hard time describing me in one line and even two lines wasn't enough but I picked the most important aspects of me. No matter how big the poster is to make a collage, I don't think you can fully describe a person because some things about a person don't come in the from looking at pictures, paintings, drawing, etc. They come from that person's personality.
  • Color: I picked earth tones as my borders around my pictures. The reason I did that is because I love to be outdoors and since the collage is about me, it only fits to symbolize my love for the outdoors.
  • Light: I picked dark to light and then light to dark as you go across the collage to make it more appealing to the eye as well as kind of symbolize that as you go through each subject matter, it shines more and more light on who I am as a person.
  • Texture: I decided that for texture I would make the borders of the pictures different sizes and different shapes. None of them are the exact same even and as you go in towards the middle of the collage the sizes get smaller and then back to bigger on the outside.
  • Volume: I used different colors as my borders to do this part as well as the pictures on the outside are a little darker but as you go in some grow lighter.
  • Line: I wanted to draw a line that took the viewer from left to right, so the pictures not only go in vertical lines most times but the colors coordinate with it so it draws the eye across the lines.
  • Space: I picked dark to light and then light to dark as you go across to make it more appealing as well as have a background (white) and a foreground (the four shades that act as borders for the pictures).
  • Scale: The size of the borders show no importance within the collage but some of the pictures are bigger then others to show important people, places, and things.   
  • Symbolism: The earth tones of the borders symbolize my love for outdoors, the picture of the family huddled close in symbolizes my family and the love I have for them, the picture of the camera with the heart next to it symbolizes my love for photography and my eventual career, the picture of the music note with the Jesus fish as the flag is my tattoo I have and it symbolizes music and faith which are the two biggest things in my life (it's on my foot because I walk by faith and I wouldn't be walking without my faith and music) and the borders get smaller as you go into the middle where my name is because all of the things in the pictures are what makes me who I am.  

4 comments:

  1. The thought you put into the order and content of the individual pictures is very good, but I feel like the volume and compositional lines just don't come across. My eye isn't drawn across so much as stuck on your name in the middle. The symbolism is good, I especially like what you said about your tattoo. The statement about yourself that you were making with this is good, and the content is good, the colors and meaning behind them are good too, I just wish it was a little more visually interesting as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the order in the midst of a collage. I took somewhat the same approach on my collage. I like the symbolism of the earth tones for the outdoors, its very clever. The thinning of the frames really makes you grasp the concept of it all being apart of you. This is a unique approach to a collage but it really gives it personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how organized and to-the-point your collage is. The earth-toned borders really compliment some of the colors in the pictures. It would have been neat to have some sort of color for the overall background, but then again the simple white that you have adds a stark and interesting contrast that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I very much like the vertical lines in the collage it gives the piece a real backbone. (The far away shot of the piece I image as a butterfly with the name being the center and the photos being the colorful wings, I’m not sure why I immediately think this lol, but it’s great!) I also like the rhythm of the piece by created by the bisymmetry, kind of like a color palindrome.

    ReplyDelete